For the sauce:
– 500ml tomato paste
– 1 onion
– 1 red pepper
– Spices: garlic, parsley, thyme, basil, pepper
For the filling:
– 500gr spinach
– 250gr silken tofu
– Salt and spices
– Vegan Cheddar cheese
– Vegan bechamel sauce (25gr butter, 25gr flour, 300ml soy milk)
1. Steam or boil the spinach for about 5 minutes, drain and leave aside.
2. Chop the onion and pepper and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the bechamel sauce. Melt the butter, add the flour and stir for about a minute. Then add the milk little by little. Bring to boil and cook for about two minutes. Always stirring!
4. Add the tomato paste to the onion and pepper when ready. Add spices, bring to boil and cook for a few minutes.
5. When both sauces are ready we can start with the filling. Cut up the spinach a bit, whizz the tofu with a hand blender or similar. Then mix the spinach, tofu, bechamel sauce, cheese, salt and spices in a bowl.
6. Fill the cannelloni tubes with the mix, cover tubes with a bit of sauce and cover the tray with tin foil. Cook for about 15 minutes.
7. Remove foil, add rest of the sauce and cook for about 5 more minutes.